History

  • The Imperial Senate ordered on 14th December, 1888, that an allowance be granted for the operation of a handicraft museum beginning in 1890. That museum operated under the Society of Industrial Art, today Design Forum Finland, and was located at the Museum of Art and Design.
  • In 1908-1926 the museum was called the State Home Industry Museum (Helsinki) and it operated under the State Home Industry Office.
  • In 1927-1933 the museum operated jointly with the Museum of Industrial Art
  • The collections of the museum were placed in store and operation was discontinued.
  • In 1982 the museum restarted as an independent museum in Jyväskylä using the name the Home Industry Museum of Finland (Seminaarinkatu 32).
  • In 1992 the museum was one of the first five museums to be nominated as a national specialized museum.
  • In 1992 the National Costume Center of Finland was founded as part of the museum.
  • In 1995, The Conservation Center for textiles, run by the Art and Science Foundation of Jyväskylä, was annexed to the museum.
  • On 1st January, 1997, the museum was renamed the Craft Museum of Finland.
  • On 16th June, 2000, the museum moved to a fully renovated new location (Kauppakatu 25 - Kilpisenkatu 12). The building occupied by the museum and the National Costume Center of Finland also houses theTaito Shop and the Offices of the Crafts Association of Central Finland.